Friday, August 3, 2012

A Fish Called Ceasg



I returned from RWA12 around midnight on Sunday. To say I was exhausted is an understatement, but it was the kind of exhaustion only reached when one has had the time of his/her life.  It was such a freaking awesome experience, one of which I will never forget.  Thanks to Jami Gold, Angela Quarles, Janice Hardy and all of those amazing women I met for the great week.  I hope to see you all again soon.



If you follow my blog regularly, you will notice a suspicious lack of posts in the month of July.  I decided to take the month off from my regular Faerie Friday posts. Granted, I neglected to tell anyone.  My bad.  I felt like I needed some sort of break.  It was hot and I was cranky. I’m feeling rejuvenated now that I am back though I do believe I am coming down with a cold.  Oh, well, you can’t meet that many people, get on that many planes and not contract a horrible death illness.  You just can’t.



Okay, so I should probably get on with it.  This week’s Faerie Friday post takes us to Scotland.  I love Scottish faeries.  Armstrong is a Scottish name in fact.  I remembered reading somewhere that in the 13th century the Armstrong Clan could raise up 3000 fighting men.  That’s a lot of hairy, filthy Scottish men in kilts. Invictus maneo! (The Armstrong Clan motto – We remain unvanquished!)



Anyway, the Ceasg is my topic for the week.  Please don’t ask me how to pronounce its name.  I don’t know.  Sometimes I wonder if these names are elaborate jokes like the silly names for items in IKEA.  Swedish executives just want to get us to say Knubbig.  They are laughing behind our backs.



The Ceasg is the mermaid of the Scottish Highlands.  Sometimes she is called Maighdean na tuinne, or the Maiden of the Wave. She’s smokin’ hot from the waist up, but from the waist down, not so much.  She’s half salmon.  Like most faeries, she is not so nice.  In fact, she likes to lure men into the water so that she can kill them. Supposedly, she swallows them whole.  (I find that hard to believe since she has a human size mouth.  It’s not my job to make sense of these stories, just to report on them.)  If the man can catch the Ceasg, she will grant him three wishes.  She keeps her soul in a super-secret place outside of her body.  If you can find it, you can defeat her. 



So what do you think of the Scottish Highland mermaid?  Do you think you could catch her and obtain three wishes?  Did you miss me?  I missed you.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning! I completely understand the need to get away from blogging every now and then. I took the month of June off. :)

    Now the idea of keeping a soul out of your body in a "secret place" is pretty interesting. (A little Golden Compass-like maybe?)

    Have a GREAT weekend and hopefully you won't end up with a full blown cold (or horribe death illness) from traveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling much better actually. False alarm! :-) One of the characters in one of my WIPs is based on a Russian Sorcerer that keep his soul/life source out of his body so my guess this is a common theme.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I missed you. :) Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time. Except for the death cold...

    I'm cringing at "hairy, filthy Scottish men in kilts." Accurate, but I prefer all of mine to look like Jimmy Thomas and smell of garden meadows. LOL

    I'd never try the three wishes thing. They're all tricksters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the movie Brave? That is what Scottish men would have looked like. But yes, the romance novel version is so much better!!!

      Delete
  3. I think their first wish should be please don't eat me.

    Take care of your horrible death illness - I hate those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, priorities! Feeling better so I think it was a near miss!

      Delete