Friday, September 20, 2013

The Root Goddess



This week’s Faerie Friday isn’t a normal Faerie Friday post. It’s not even about a Faerie.

Last Saturday, my husband and I got in the car and headed for parts unknown. Well, they weren’t exactly unknown. Our destination was Lennox, MA via Route 20. We were pretty sure we could get there that way. Wasn’t a hundred percent certain. But we were heading east so confidence was moderately high.

Surprisingly, Lennox was just where it was supposed to be in my head. That almost never happens. We did some shopping, had a lovely lunch (I had the Pear Welwood cocktail if you must know) and even stopped at a chocolate shop that had the most amazing chocolates.

On the way out of town, my husband pulled into this place that I spotted on our way in but didn’t give much mind to. At that point, I was a little overstimulated and ready to go home. If I was a cat, my husband would have been either scratched or bitten or both. He cut the engine of the car and gave me a look: Just shut up and follow me already.  

So I shut my trap and followed him into a shop that had some of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Masks and statues from all over the world. Jewelry. Artwork. Talk about overstimulation. As I was coming out of one of the small rooms, I spotted the carving in the picture above. I couldn’t get to her because another couple was looking at jewelry. Finally they moved out of the way and I made a beeline for her.

 The owner spotted me gazing up at her. She was strung up against a beam, fastened by a bit of twine. He explained that the carving was from Bali and was a representation of goddess, Dewi Sri. On the surface Bali is a Hindu country, but at the core, the Balinese people still believe in Earth Magic flows through the soil and into the plants. The carving was made from the roots of a 17th century coffee bush and she brings with her abundance, prosperity and fertility.

I just had to have her and after debating where to put her, we decided above the mantle in our living room. I toyed with the idea of putting her over out bed, but I decided not to tempt fate.

Doesn’t she look lovely in our living room?





The lesson: Don’t be afraid to check out new places. You never know what you are going to find.

If you find yourself in Lennox, make sure to stop by Inspired Planet. You won’t be disappointed.


10 comments:

  1. That is a very cool piece of artwork. Although, not sure I'd get it. There's a bit of creepiness to it and I'd freak myself out if it was hanging in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually in person, her countenance is quite serene and she gives off a calming vibe.

      Delete
    2. Actually in person, her countenance is quite serene and she gives off a calming vibe.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love her! There's something very earth-mothery about her. Hope to get to meet her in person some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total occultism, dear - that's leading you to a very dark realm (and besides the north east didn't vote for the Don). Lemme tella youse summore without d'New Joisey accent, kapiche? -Jimmy Hoffa who's buried in Giant's stadium under the EndZone by the mob...

    Nevertheless, gotta lotta subtle, stupendous, supersonic, sassy, savvy, kick-ass elixers and electronic elegance on our YOUTHwitheTRUTH blogs. N'joym, dear.

    God bless your indelible souls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total occultism, dear - that's leading you to a very dark realm (and besides the north east didn't vote for the Don). Lemme tella youse summore without d'New Joisey accent, kapiche? -Jimmy Hoffa who's buried in Giant's stadium under the EndZone by the mob...

    Nevertheless, gotta lotta subtle, stupendous, supersonic, sassy, savvy, kick-ass elixers and electronic elegance on our YOUTHwitheTRUTH blogs. N'joym, dear.

    God bless your indelible souls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hera was the Greek defender of marriage and ladies. Her Roman name was Juno. Hestia was the Greek goddess of the hearth and home. Her Roman name was Vesta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridge City is a Reputable Cabinetry & Renovations Contractor. We Provide Services in IKEA Kitchen Design and Construction. We are a Quality Renovation Contractor that Renews and Brings Life back to Existing Properties no Matter what kind of Space you are Looking to Renovate: Bathrooms, Living Rooms, Kitchens, or Other Living Spaces

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramma foundation is a company and a foundation that provide crack repair snow remove and gutter clean service. We are the crack repair foundation in Alberta Edmonton. We provide services like crack repair, gutter clean services, show removal, in short we are the foundation repair in Edmonton. If you are worried about the cracks on your home do not worry we are here to get it repair. If you are worried about snow on your roof, we can remove it. We are here to clean you gutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A biography essay is an essay where you tell the story of a person's life. It's a chance for you to do research and learn interesting facts and opinions about someone. That person could be a historical figure, a famous actor, politician, artist, writer or inventor. The point of the biographical essay is to reveal who that person was and what contribution they have made to the world.

    ReplyDelete